Tuesday, January 17, 2012

.:Fat:.

"Courage is not about knowing the path.  It is about taking the first step." - Katie Davis

1-3-12/2nd day in India - 
Can't get used to writing "January" as the date again.  It's so hard to believe it's January when it's so hot like summer here.  Getting in the shower tonight I was thinking how FAT I feel when we're here.  I love the food here and we snack a lot.  We don't eat veggies much here but fill ourselves with carbs in the form of rice and noodles to avoid our mouth being on fire with the spicy foods!  The Lord reminded me of how spiritually FAT we as Americans are.  We have everything we need to have a close walk with the Lord but yet sit around often "fat and lazy" and comfortable and often don't get off our butt to "work out our own salvation" (Phillipians 2:12) yet just sit back to receive more from the Lord.  In India, I am so aware of the neediness everywhere that I see the complete opposite. 
      

I struggle to understand at times why I was born to such physical (and even spiritual) richness when my friends in India lack things simple as clean water, sanitation, or even a hug everyday!  Many of them live under blue tarps made into tents, work under tin roofs full of asbestos selling their produce (if they even have a job), and some even have to wait up to 3-4 days before they can have a new tank of clean water to live off of.  When I think of the disparity and lack of fairness, I also thing of the RESPONSIBILITY we have to share to gospel and care for the poor/forgotten/abandoned.  

What IF we used our excess "fatness" if you will, to "feed" those across the world who "have not"?  What if instead of thinking of our American dreams and getting higher up on the chain of command that we pour out of our excess?  Maybe you say that those needy don't deserve it - but maybe we need to remember that even JESUS reached down to us in our spiritual poverty and filthy rags and sat us, ME, at HIS table of abundance and joy?! It could've been any of us born to poverty...

No comments:

Post a Comment